Blog Advertising Code of Ethics


Considering the growing popularity of professional blogging, there is an increasing need to have blog advertising ethics. Bloggers have similar duties as the media. Unlike the latter, however, there is no institution that regulates blogs. Hence, it is vital that bloggers self-regulate. Blogging is more than just writing, expressing oneself and earning money. The writers must know and be reminded that as they participate in media they have the responsibility to promote the good of their readers.
To probloggers out there, we are encouraging you to follow the code of ethics below. You owe it to yourself as professionals and to your readers who look up to you. After all, what sets you apart from casual bloggers is right there in your title – you are PROFESSIONAL.

Principled. I will be principled in my writing. I will practice discretion in determining the topics I will be discussing in my blog. I will also be principled in choosing advertisements I will allow in my website. I will not engage in unethical internet practices such as click fraud. I will make the good of my readers my highest priority and not compromise my principles for monetary gain.

Responsible. I will be responsible in updating my blog. I acknowledge that I owe it to my readers to have fresh content in my website. I will also be responsible in checking the truthfulness of the data before posting it. It is my duty as a professional blogger.

Original. I will be original; making sure that my content is my own. I will not even consider plagiarizing.

Fair. I will be fair when reporting on issues with 2 sides. I will make certain that both sides are properly presented and given the chance to explain or defend themselves.

Exposed. I will expose myself to new thoughts and ideas by reading, listening to people and music and watching the latest trends. I will not allow myself to stagnate as a person and as a professional blogger.

Sincere. I will be sincere. I will write what is true and mean what I say. Lying is not an option for me. I will be objective and unbiased when writing product reviews. I will share my actual experience with the product, nothing more and nothing less.

Straight. I will be straight in my blog and stand for what I believe in. When advertisers ask for a good product review in exchange for favors, I will stand by my morals and principles.

Inspired. I will not write simply for the sake of money. Writing is my passion so I will be inspired, putting my heart into my articles and reviews.

Open. I will be open-minded. I will not reject ideas that differ from mine. I will learn from them.

Novel. I am a problogger with my own identity. I will be novel, differentiating myself from other bloggers in terms of content, writing style and ethics.

Accountable. I will be accountable to my readers. Should I commit mistakes, I will admit them and correct them promptly.

Link Sources. I will give credit to the minds that help me with my work as a problogger. I will link sources to acknowledge their hard work.

15 comments:

  Anonymous

March 10, 2008 at 8:31 AM

Finally, a blog advertising code of ethics. Let's just keep our fingers crossed and hope that it will be followed.

  Anonymous

March 10, 2008 at 8:32 AM

Let's spread the word, guys! The more bloggers made aware of this, the better!

  Anonymous

March 10, 2008 at 8:33 AM

A blog advertising code sounds good. Sana lang may sumunod. I somehow doubt it.

  Anonymous

March 10, 2008 at 8:34 AM

Probloggers should be just that - professional. Let's hope that this helps the blog ad industry. =)

  Anonymous

March 10, 2008 at 12:07 PM

great, now we have some rules as guidelines in blogging. they may not be established internationally, but they really are helping guides for a start.

  Anonymous

March 10, 2008 at 7:54 PM

WOW!!!COOL!!!!

  Anonymous

March 10, 2008 at 7:59 PM

I hope this blog will change a lot of bloggers... I wish they stop clicking their own ads. PPC

  Anonymous

March 10, 2008 at 8:00 PM

WOW! i'll try to forward this blog to other bloggers~

  Anonymous

March 24, 2008 at 6:47 PM

How will you know if the blog advertising code of ethics is being followed? Is there a way to apprehend those who don't?

  Anonymous

March 25, 2008 at 6:09 AM

wow! great idea bloggingfad... good job!

  Anonymous

March 27, 2008 at 9:44 AM

are you going to release a book? where can I get a copy?

  Anonymous

March 27, 2008 at 9:50 AM

whatever!!!! you cannot have a code book!

  Anonymous

March 30, 2008 at 10:17 AM

why do we need a code of ethics? this is the net! we can do anything

  Anonymous

March 31, 2008 at 9:58 AM

blogging should really have a code of ethics... there are so many blogs that discuss unethical ideas. I hate brianboy!

  Anonymous

April 1, 2008 at 7:19 AM

i agree. I do not like brianboy. and we need a cade of ethics for the internet because any information, even inappropriate ones, can be placed without supervision